New South Wales Cadet Corps 1898 (Beginnings at The King's School Parramatta)


New South Wales Cadet Corps 

1898 

(Beginnings at The King's School Parramatta)

1898 New South Wales Cadets: Prepare to Receive Cavalry
1898 New South Wales Cadets: Prepare to Receive Cavalry 

NEW SOUTH WALES CADET CORPS

King's School, Parramatta, New South Wales, founded in 1830, is parent of the higher education schools of Australia, and the cadet corps of King's School, established in 1866, is parent cadet corps. In that year the Rev. G. F. Macarthur, while headmaster of Macquarie Fields School, conceived the idea that it would be a good thing to train young Australians to arms, and after approaching the Government of the day he received a grant of rifles and accouterments, and an instructor was appointed.

1898 New South Wales Cadets: Band
1898 New South Wales Cadets: Band

When Mr. Macarthur took charge of King's School he brought with him most of his boys, and the only change made in the corps was that of the name. A distinctive uniform was designed, consisting of a French cap, dark blue jacket, and grey pants, a felt hat being worn in summer. The corps is self-supporting and self-managing, the only notice taken of it by the military authorities being a demand for a quarterly statement to drills, and an an anual grant of ammunition. King's School Cadet Corps is under the command of Captain Corr, with Warrent Officer Lindsey.

1898 New South Wales Cadets: Cadets at Drill
1898 New South Wales Cadets: Cadets at Drill

View Original: Cadet Corps (1898, September 17). The Australasian (Melbourne, Vic. : 1864 - 1946), p. 32.

Comments