Skip to main content

Contact


If you would like to contact me feel free to use the contact form below or email myfhpublications@yahoo.com. Please feel free to offer topic suggestions. ~ Lorraine.


Your Name:
E-mail Address *:
Message *:

Affiliate Advertisements:

Ancestry - 14 Days Free
Booktopia

Follow Remembering the Past Australia

Popular Articles

The First Stone Bridge Built in NSW - Road from Emu Plains, Over the Blue Mountains

*From: Sketches in Australia [1848]
This series consisted of 18 tinted lithographs issued in three parts - each part comprising 6 lithographs, and enclosed in buff coloured covers. Unsold copies were reissued in book form in 1852.
8. Road from Emu Plains, Over the Blue Mountains. The First Stone Bridge built in New South Wales.
Lithograph 21 x 25.4cm.Cream tint. The bridge, known as Horseshoe Bridge on Mitchell's Pass, near present-day Lapstone, was the first constructed by David Lennox, the famous colonial bridge builder. It was completed in 1833 and the original view for this lithograph was probably taken during the final stages of construction. Note the convict labourers and road gang at work on the bridge surrounds. Richard Bourke took special pride in the constructions of Lennox during his period of governorship. Reproduced: Spiers, p.49. Letterpress text:
ROAD FROM EMU PLAINS TO BATHURST , BLUE MOUNTAINS.
This view, intended to represent part of a Road over the Blue Mountai…

Horsham, Victoria 1888 - Biographical sketches of the Prominent Residents of the Town

The following are short biographical notes of a number of the most prominent residents of the town of Horsham, Victoria: - 
Alexander, Alfred, Horsham, was born in Sydney, N.S.W., whence he came with his parents to Victoria, and attended the National-school, Ballarat. At an early age he commenced work, and tried nearly every goldfield in Victoria, although with but indifferent success. He took to brick-making, first at Ararat for two years, then at Stawell, and then at the Glenisla station, on the Gleneig River, near Balmoral, and finally landed in Horsharn with his family, and one shilling in his pocket. He commenced life there as a wood-carter, and afterwards bought a share in a brickyard, working as a partner four years. He then sold out, and bought in with Messrs. Willoughby and Trew. Since that he has bought them out, now employs several hands, and turns out about 20,000 bricks per annum.
Ayrton, Robert, Horsham, a native of Lancashire, England, served his time to the trade of but…

List of Towns and Stations in New South Wales in 1832

A List of Towns and Stations


Arranged alphabetically, stating the County and the Distance in Miles from Sydney. Appin, At King’s Falls, where the road to Illawarra crosses the Georges’s River, called in the neighbourhood Tuggerah Creek, Cumberland, 45 miles.

Arthursleigh, on the Wollondilly, near Eden Forest, Argyle, 100 miles.

Bamballa, On the road to St. Vincent and Lake Bathurst, Camden, 101 miles.

Barber’s Station, On the Road to Lake Bathurst, Argyle, 107 miles.

Bargo Rivulet, Crosses the Road to Camden, 53 miles.

Bateman Bay
, On the Coast to the Southward, St. Vincent, 166 miles.

Bathurst Flag Staff, At the Township, Bathurst, 126 miles.

Bathurst Lake, At the Village Reserve, Argyle, 142 miles.

Best’s Inn, On the Road to Wiseman’s, Cumberland, 29 miles.

Bilong, On the Goulburn River, unnamed, 175 miles.

Bird’s Eye Corner, Ford over the Nepean River at Menangle, Cumberland, 38 miles.

Black Bob’s Creek, At the crossing on the Road to Goulburn, Camden, 86 ½ miles.

Black Head, A Point on the Se…